It’s important with turkey on the mind to make sure that your family is safe whether you are having guests at your home or are traveling this holiday season. Look at some quick tips we have put together to ensure you can enjoy your turkey without worry!
- If you plan to be traveling, make sure to have all mail, newspapers, and deliveries stopped or picked up by a neighbor.
- Never leave a hidden key outside; burglars know the best hiding spots for these!
- Don’t post your travel plans on Facebook or other social media sites letting people know you will be out of town.
- Use timers to operate your lights.
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked. Set your alarm if you have one.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of emergency and teach all family members how to use it properly.
- Be cautious using turkey fryers as they post a number of distinct safety concerns. Only use an approved turkey fryer with four legs and a built-in thermostat to maintain proper oil temperature. Ensure the fryer cannot tip over, a major cause of most fires. Use the fryer outdoors and away from the house. Follow all instructions from the manufacturer.
- Never leave your house with the oven on. Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires.
- Instead of flame candles replace them with non-flame candles.
- When retiring for the evening make a final inspection of your home and ensure that all appliances (especially the stove) are off.
This Blog is sponsored by:
People’s Trust Insurance Company