Creating a safe living environment is a top priority for many Florida homeowners. A safe home gives you the freedom to relax, while knowing that both you and your loved ones are safe.
Here are a few tips to help avoid some of the most common home hazards and maintain a safe and happy home.
- Downsize your laundry basket: Falling down the stairs is one of the most common home injuries. Walking down the stairs with a large laundry basket increases the chances of such a fall occurring due to limited visibility. Next time you do laundry, use a smaller basket so you can see where you’re going and avoid the risk of tripping or falling.
- Use your ladder wisely: Prevent the risk of ladder accidents by making sure it’s sturdy before using and by keeping at least two feet and a hand in contact with the ladder at all times.
- Use flameless candles: Candles have been the catalyst for thousands of home fires. Use battery-operated flameless candles instead of wax candles to reduce the risk of starting a house fire, while also being able to enjoy the benefits that candles have to offer.
- Replace your smoke alarms: Replace smoke alarms every 10 years to ensure they all work properly in case of a fire in your home.
- Pool owner? Install a safety fence: Reduce the risk of drowning accidents by installing a four-foot fence around the perimeter of the pool.