It’s important with turkey on the mind to make sure that your family is safe whether you are having guests over your home or are traveling this holiday season. Take a look at some quick tips we have put together to make sure you can enjoy your turkey without a worry!
- If you plan to be traveling make sure to have all mail, newspapers, and deliveries stopped or picked up by a neighbor.
- Never leave a hidden key outside, burglars know the best hiding spots for these!
- Don’t post your travel plans on Facebook or other social media sites letting people know you will be out of town.
- Use timers to operate your lights.
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked. Set your alarm if you have one.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of emergency and teach all family members how to use it properly.
- Be cautious using turkey fryers as they post a number of distinct safety concerns. Only use an approved turkey fryer with four legs and a built-in thermostat so proper oil temperature can be maintained. Make sure the fryer cannot tip over, a major cause of most fires. Use the fryer outdoors and away from the house. Follow all instructions from the manufacturer.
- Never leave your house with the oven on. Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires.
- Instead of flame candles replace them with non-flame candles.
- When retiring for the evening make a final inspection of your home and ensure that all appliances (especially the stove) are off.
This Blog is sponsored by:
People’s Trust Insurance Company