Homeowner's Academy

This is your guide to interesting facts, tips and general homeowner information. We hope you find the information useful - and feel free to share with friends!

Why You Should Buy Flood Insurance in Florida

by Brooke Gold Hasson | Feb 12, 2019

Flooding outside a home in Florida

With Florida having the title of being the largest coastal flooding threat in the country, flood insurance seems like a smart choice. However, most homeowners in Florida do not have flood insurance. Only 13% of the entire state withholds flood insurance, the remaining 87% are at risk of paying costly damage fees from flooding within in their home in the future according to FEMA.

No One is Safe from Floods

Florida is surrounded by 2 major bodies of water, has more than 7,500 lakes, and about 12,000 miles of rivers and streams that stretch throughout the state. With all the various spread out bodies of water, most households in Florida are significantly close to some kind of water, causing a higher risk of flooding in any area. Every zone is considered a flood zone, some at higher risk than others, but not one household in the state of Florida is safe from the occurrence of floods. Around 25% of the overall amount of flood claims come from moderate and low-risk flood areas. Homeowners living in high risk flooding areas are not the only ones who need to be looking for flood insurance.

Know What Is Covered By your Insurance

If you believe you are covered from all flooding by your home insurance company, than you are believing wrong. Homeowner’s insurance only provides coverage to floods when there has been damage to your home from a hurricane or tropical storm and water leaked in. Flooding from heavy rain or overflowing from a nearby creek or river, is only covered by flooding insurance.

The Smarter Choice

Flooding can lead to costly unexpected payments. The smallest amount of water can do the largest amount of damage. In Florida just one single inch of water can result in up to $60,000 in damage fees. These unexpected disastrous payments force homeowners to pay them out of pocket or even by taking out a loan. Flood insurance is far less expensive than paying these unavoidable damage payments. Even if the possibility of a flood happening in your household is lower than others, it is always better to be safe than sorry. In the case of a flood, having flood insurance is the better way to be prepared, financially.

Call People’s Trust Today and Get a FREE no-obligation Flood Insurance Quote: 800-500-1818

See More Posts