Your home is one of the largest purchases you’ll ever make, and it’s also where you’ll make some of your fondest memories. People’s Trust wants to help those memories last and show you some quick home maintenance tips that save money and can improve the life of your home.
- Keep It Painted. Not only does paint make your house look great, but it also adds a layer of protection that we need in Florida. Paint will protect the wood of your home against the sun, some water damage, and bugs. Spot-clean and then repaint any areas that are peeling or chipped to avoid some future home repairs.
- Clear Those Gutters. Water damage is a significant concern in Florida, but clean gutters help keep it from hurting your home. Clear leaves, twigs and other debris from your gutters at least twice a year and you can extend the life of your roof and paint.
- Test Smoke Detectors. Your smoke detectors and other alarms should be checked regularly. Check the batteries in each detector at least twice a year. You can time this to when the kids go back to school or when the clocks spring forward and fall back. Smoke detectors can save your life and your property.
- Clean Your Workspace. Not only will a clean workspace help prevent spills from oil, gas or paint, but it will also keep you from buying duplicate tools. You can use a peg board to hang tools in your garage, and then outline them on the board so everything gets its own place. This also helps you know if you’ve got the tools for other money-saving, do-it-yourself jobs.
- Buy materials and labor from different sources. Some jobs are going to be too big to tackle on your own. However, to save money on home improvements you can buy your own materials. Check with your contractor to get any safety or technical requirements, and then head to warehouses or discount stores to avoid the contractor’s markup on tile and other materials.
A little work can go a long way to keep your home safe and comfortable for years to come.
This Blog is sponsored by:
People’s Trust Insurance Company