Homeowner's Academy

This is your guide to interesting facts, tips and general homeowner information. We hope you find the information useful - and feel free to share with friends!

No More Incandescent Light Bulbs

by Brooke Gold Hasson | Jan 13, 2014

Incandescent Light BulbsAs part of the new year, incandescent light bulbs are now prohibited by the federal government.  The ban covers 40-watt and 60-watt bulbs.  If you still have the old light bulbs, don’t worry - there are no light bulb police that will be after you for using them - however, they will no longer be available for purchase.

The bans were signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2007 as part of the Energy Independence and Security Act. 

You may be asking if switching to energy-efficient bulbs make a difference. Absolutely! Just swapping out 15 incandescent bulbs in your home could save you up to $50 a year, says the US Department of Energy. That’s because a standard incandescent bulb is only 10 percent efficient, the agency says; the other 90 percent of the electricity it uses is lost as heat.

The bottom line - no need to stress over the ban.  Other types of light bulbs will help you save money on your energy bill so don’t be alarmed if you can’t find the ones you have been used to using for the past 100 years!

This Blog is sponsored by:
People’s Trust Insurance Company

See More Posts